Welcome to Artsee

A seasoned blogger friend warned me that the hardest blog post to write is the first one. The post, where you attempt to explicate, in 300 words or less, why you have something unique to add to the blogosphere.  At the risk of sounding cosmic, trite, or (God forbid) cutesy, here goes:

One of the things I admire most about Wellesley College is how the arts are a vibrant part of everyday life here.  When Madeleine Albright came and spoke at the Albright Institute two years ago, she mentioned that in her travels, she would always try to take in the local arts and cultural scene because that helped her “get to know” the communities she was visiting (she then went on to say that her peers didn’t understand why experiencing art from other cultures was important when there were pressing world issues to discuss). Madame Secretary’s instinct to seek out art as a way of learning about yourself and the world mirrors the role that the arts play on this campus.  The arts are at the heart of the academic, social, and cultural life at Wellesley.  Engaging with the arts, as an observer and participant, is a core part of the Wellesley experience.

I have the pleasure of working at my alma mater as the director of publicity and coordination for the arts.  Because of my job, I am quite well versed in the arts and cultural happenings on campus, and many an evening you will find me, and if I’m lucky my favorite date–my husband, Marcus–at an event somewhere around campus. Our weekend adventures out at Wellesley have also led us to develop an encyclopedia-like knowledge of where to get a good cocktail in the Wellesley area after 10:30 pm, but that is for a later post.

Artsee will share with you some of the things that I have the opportunity to see behind the scenes of the arts at Wellesley.  Hopefully Artsee will become a place for people to talk about the arts, share their opinions about an exhibit or performance, or ask a question.

More soon!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.