Summer Language Program – Ana Isabelle van der Walle’17

Ana Isabelle van der Walle’17 studied Chinese in Beijing during the summer of 2014 with the  CET program. Here is her reflections on this program:

(The original feedback might be edited for length and clarity.)

I had an incredibly positive experience with CET. CET is a very strong language program but there are three things that make the CET program different from all the other programs I have attended:

1. The location

2. The teaching assistants (TA’s)

3. The Roommates

During my time there the CET Beijing campus was located at the Beijing language Institute across from the Beijing Zoo. This area was ideal for a foreign student as it was not an area with a lot of English speakers and foreigners although it was a near a main attraction. The campus was central enough that we could explore the city easily and we were with in walking distance of many local restaurants and also a super market in the area. Although the program campus has since moved I have heard wonderful things about the new campus as I have friends who are currently in a semester abroad in Beijing.

CET provided me with an environment where I was able to improve my Chinese, learn about the culture and make good friends. CET’s language classes were intense but they provided us with enough support to succeed through the help of TA’s. The TA’s were what I consider to be one of the best things about this program. I became incredibly close with my classes 5 TA’s and they were my best resources through out this program. Through my TA besides strengthening my Chinese I was able to learn more about the city that I was in and also the small cultural differences between China and the US.

Lastly, unlike other college programs CET requires for every student to live with a local roommate. This is one of the great aspects of the program. The roommate provides the CET students with access to what it is like to be our age in China. Although not everyone had the same experience as I did, I really liked my roommate. Although my roommate was not around as much as some of the other roommates she was always very willing to teach me as much as she could when she was around.

Taking everything into consideration, I really enjoyed my CET experience and I would recommend this program to any other interested student.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Summer Language Program – Ana Isabelle van der Walle’17

1. Viajes a la India says:

Thanks for all the details , I would like to knowtaht CET’s language classes provide Chenise language class online .

http://viajeaindia.org

2. bayu ramdan says:

your understanding and this information is really helpful at all for us, thank you