Climate Strike Reflection

To mentally prepare for the strike, I researched and looked up the facts of why many people were protesting and what they hoped to accomplish. Physically, I created a sign with friends I planned to march with. While preparing for the march I felt anger towards those who had the power to enact change and did nothing and couldn’t understand the importance of making change now to prepare for our future. I hoped that with large numbers at the strike would help convince nonbelievers that climate change is something we need to be worried about now. This experience reinforced my view on how large numbers and rallies can make an impact and enact change. I have heard the views of other students who chose not to strike or march who believed that marching isn’t action and doesn’t make a difference. I disagree strongly and think there’s power in numbers and being around like-minded people when it comes to a topic of contention is always helpful and supportive. Some of the benefits of striking are meeting the other people with similar views to you and showing that the cause you are striking for has many supporters. The limitations to striking are that it doesn’t feel like direct action in many ways and there’s only so much you can do. This being said, I strongly encourage everyone to attend a strike even if you don’t agree with the idea, just for the experience and to experiment that hopeful feeling I felt while striking.