Why Networking Matters: Time to challenge your concept of meritocracy

I used to believe in perfect meritocracy, i.e. you get exactly what you put in. If you are semi-intelligent and you work hard, then your reward should be proportional to your efforts and strictly to your efforts, regardless of whether you are. This is a concept that Wellesley has drilled into me; if you want to get a good grade in a class, it doesn’t really help to be a brown-noser.

I was wrong about networking. I never used to treat networking seriously—I thought I was above networking. I thought that if I work hard enough, my efforts will be recognized, and I will be rewarded appropriately regardless of the people I know.

Of course, I was being dense, because networking effects have been proven to be extremely significant. Here are the reasons why:

1.      Decision about hires: The decision came down to you and another intern. Both interns are equally intelligent, and have demonstrated high levels of competence. Thus, the decision comes down to who is better liked. At this point, the quality of your work is no longer the focus. Instead, it’s the time you spend not working that really matters: Who did you speak to in the kitchen? Who did you connect with at the networking event? Even seemingly trivial connections and similarities such as your shared interest in action movies can help you get the offer. Bottom line: even if going to a networking event means putting other plans, however attractive they may be, on hold, you still go, because you never know when the connections you make will move your career. Plus, you get free food!

2.      When you need help: Unless you are aspiring to be a doctor/lawyer/academic, I can guarantee you that 90% of what you do on your first job will have absolutely nothing to do with what you learn college. What ends up happening is that you learn most of what you need to know from the people around you—your boss, your associate, your analyst, your fellow interns, etc. This means that who you know really matters, because your network will also determine the skills you acquire and the knowledge you obtain. Developing good relationships with people who can give you advice and feedback on your work will be essential to performing well on the job.

3.      They will tell you what others won’t: Every company has its own implicit norms about communications, networking, etc. You will not find out about these informal rules from your recruiters, or on the company website. However, there can be social consequences if you violate these rules. This is another area where the people in your informal network can help you!

The bottom line is: no one is above networking.

This is a lesson that many Wellesley students will have to learn—I certainly did, the hard way. We have to get over the mindset that the time we spend outside of our cubicle/off of the desk/outside of the library is wasted. We have to get over the mindset that time spent talking about movies/shows/clothes/handbags is counterproductive. Because if you like Balenciaga, and she likes Balenciaga; or if you like Mission Impossible, and he likes Mission Impossible—there is a valuable connection for you.

Really, Mission Impossible is your edge.

Who knew.

– The Recruiting Team – part of the Reality Check Series

Back To Top
Skip to toolbar