Sisterhood of the Traveling Pantsuits

I know you were wondering…here is where the pantsuits (as in the title of this blog) come into play.

For my Wellesley seminar class on “persuasive images” in media, I just did a research project on how a woman’s presentation through campaign ads, photographs, banners, and personal style shapes her campaign and thus, voter’s opinions.  I focused on Secretary Clinton’s 2008 presidential campaign for this analysis (and I ended up getting an A on the project!!! woohoo).

There are numerous studies on how appearance in general matters in politics, and it is obvious why.  But a woman’s style and appearance has become especially crucial for women when running for political office. And Secretary Clinton is known for her distinct style accessory: the pantsuit.  We have seen her wear pantsuits in almost every style and color.  But it is interesting if you look at this style further.

When running in 2008, Secretary Clinton’s first campaign strategy was to present her as gender-neutral—to focus on her skills and experience, rather than bring direct attention to her gender. A pantsuit for a woman (as compared to a skirt or dress) makes sense to show a gender neutral appearance.  Secretary Clinton’s pantsuits were interesting too because of how many colors and styles she had, and those colors would be carefully selected depending on the message that needed to be portrayed.  For example, she would wear pastels when her campaign wanted to soften her image and make it more feminine. And when there was an upset in the campaign (like not receiving the democratic nomination), she wore colors that were cheery and bright, like a bright orange! Her jewelry and makeup are always simple and understated. They do not draw attention too much to the jewelry or to her femininity.

Naturally, in preparation for the State Department Initiative, this inspired me to get a new business-attire outfit for the inaugural Women in Public Service Project event. I decided that a pant suit was best because we wanted to be a part of the “Sisterhood of the traveling pantsuits” that Secretary Clinton has championed.

But what type of pant suit is appropriate for a young (almost) college graduate.  I decided that I wanted to look for something that was a little different, something that fit my personality.  No simple black suit for me! I decided that I would look for something that represents me being young and feminine… a fresh, young take on the traditional black style.  The picture above shows the outfit pretty well.  I found a pink blazer at Urban Oufitters.  And some classic black trouser pants from White House/ Black Market.  I wore a cream silk camisole from Club Monaco (couldn’t find the pic).  The shoes are probably my favorite though.  I got a pair of “lizard-stamped” black wedges from Ann Taylor.  They are amazing and match the lizard-printed leather on my tote/ briefcase bag. My jewelry I kept simple.  I am wearing my Wellesley necklace and ring. I think my outfit looks pretty similar to Secretary Clinton’s (below) don’t you?

P.S. What are your opinions of women’s professional fashion?  What is your favorite professional outfit? (Please comment because I need ideas for when I start a job in the real world!)

3 Responses to Sisterhood of the Traveling Pantsuits

• James says:

Hi Alexandria,
    Cool Post, Released by her daughter, Chelsea, who referred to as her ?my hero,? Mrs. Clinton was satisfied with a lengthy, loud standing ovation. She sprinkled her opening remarks with individual touches, delighting the crowd by thanking ?my supporters, my champions ? my sisterhood of the traveling pantsuits,? a reference to her signature sartorial type.

concern:meaning of ‘her signature sartorial style’
    thanks
    I’ll be back to read more next time

• Gregory says:

G’Day! Alexandria,
    Thanks for the above, Presented by her daughter, Chelsea, who called her ?my hero,? Mrs. Clinton was fulfilled with a lengthy, loud standing ovation. She sprinkled her opening remarks with own touches, delighting the crowd by thanking ?my supporters, my champions ? my sisterhood of the traveling pantsuits,? a reference to her signature sartorial design.
    query:1,that means of ‘my sisterhood of the traveling pantsuits’2,which means of ‘her signature sartorial style’
    many thanks
    Cheers

• Very interesting topic, thanks for posting.