Dear Vendor, Please read this carefully.

Dear Vendor

I fully understand that you have job to do, which is to try to sell your products. I am pretty sure that you have obligations to call and bug as many CIOs as you can, as many times as you can and at whatever time you can. But, you see, we CIOs know a thing or two about this. So, we screen calls in one of many ways and for the most part ignore you. We do the same thing with emails. So, your hit rate must be pretty poor. I feel sorry for you, but you must be able to target the clients in a more intelligent way and find ways to get their attention through channels that they trust, like, a publication or two reviewing your product or creating a buzz through reliable social media methods.

I hate it when I get an email from you where you address me “Hey Ganesan”. Sometimes, I send these emails to Trash with such vengeance  that I can hear my keyboard cry! Few times when your number seems close enough to a recognizable number, I pick up the phone and out of pure politeness, I give you 30 seconds to convince me why I should continue to listen. 95% of the time you have barely finished asking me how I am doing and how the weather is, before 30 seconds pass by and I cut the conversation. Sometimes, you try to impress me by saying how great my blog is or my tweets are. Thank you so much for doing some homework. Unfortunately, if you don’t have a product that matches our needs, this doesn’t do you much good, but I sincerely thank you for your efforts.

If you read my blogs carefully or follow my tweets, you should have a pretty good profile of our philosophy. We love open source, we are on to a careful management of our product portfolio, and we generally are cheap, among other things. I may have introduced myself as the Cheap Information Officer for that reason! BTW, don’t let our endowment fool you, so saying what it is and thereby implying that we can afford to buy your product will take you nowhere. We are no different than many other Higher Eds when it comes to tight finances.

Please understand that I have a job to do which already takes up a lot more time than the regular work hours. So, if I don’t respond to your emails or voicemails, take it as a No! Saying things like “I have already written to you two or three times…” doesn’t make me feel bad or guilty for not having responded. Responding to every vendor who tries to reach me would be a full time job in itself. By the same token, if I accept to go to every dinner invitation thrown my way, I can eat free food for months and possibly put on a lot of weight. Thanks for those invites, but I don’t fall for them.

CIOs tend to be very well connected and rely on our group for referrals and explorations. We each have other trusted channels that we read from where we gather information about products. We go to professional meetings where we look at some of your products. These collectively help us chart our plans for the future. Not random calls from vendors about whom we have absolutely no idea. Sit for a minute and think if you would buy anything from a random person calling and trying to sell you something.

Finally, I have a request for my brothers and sisters from India. Please don’t try to fool me with an anglicized name and fake accent.

I hope, Dear Vendor, you are reading this and giving up on calling me or sending me emails. When I come knocking on your door because you have a great product that I found out about, you can tell me “If only you had taken my call earlier…”

Sincerely

Call me just Ravi!

9 Comments on Dear Vendor, Please read this carefully.

1. Name*
    August 4, 2015 at 9:10 pm (9 years ago)

This is the greatest post. You stated the very thing I was just mentioning in a meeting earlier. I do not know who responds to this technique, but it is the surest method to the digital circular file in my world.

Reply
  2. Janet
    August 4, 2015 at 10:27 pm (9 years ago)

This is terrific Ravi. Well done!

Reply
  3. David
    October 15, 2015 at 4:17 pm (9 years ago)

Spot on, Ravi. You’ve admirably spoken for many of your higher education IT colleagues!

Reply
  4. Bill King
    February 16, 2016 at 7:04 pm (8 years ago)

Well said Ravi. Thanks for the reminders.

Reply
  5. Dena
    February 4, 2017 at 12:58 pm (7 years ago)

My sentiments exactly Ravi! Thank you for stating them so eloquently.

Reply
  6. Heidi Crowell
    June 28, 2018 at 3:37 pm (6 years ago)

If I had the time, I’d reply to each vendor with a link to the blog!

Reply
    • wellesley
      July 2, 2018 at 6:21 pm (6 years ago)

Feel free to add it to your email signature 🙂

Reply
  7. Richard Musal
    October 27, 2018 at 2:15 pm (5 years ago)

Super well said and a great read!!!

Reply
  8. Marty Ringle
    October 27, 2018 at 2:47 pm (5 years ago)

Well said Ravi. The one thing I keep uppermost in mind when receiving cold calls is that the person on the other end of the line is at the bottom of his or her food chain, probably making minimum wage or less, and struggling to make ends meet. They may be insistent and obnoxious but they are not really the decision makers. In a real sense, they are as much victims as we are. The real culprits are the higher-ups who believe that forcing their employees to engage in this type of behavior is an appropriate sales strategy. These are the folks we really need to connect with — and enlighten. And the ones who deserve our venting if they’re unwilling to listen. – Marty

Reply