My Car Story (It’s a bit long, Sorry!)

It all began a couple of weeks ago. One of our cars, a 2010 Toyota Prius which we bought in 2009 had 182K miles (yup, we drive a LOT) and started flashing some strange lights like “Low Coolant” and “Check Engine” light. To be fair, during the past year, it was making some uncharacteristic noise and flashing check engine light. We took it to the dealer and it was one thing first and then something else and it really wasn’t fully solved, but the light stopped flashing for a while. We burned some good money on this repair.

Multiple lights started flashing during the past two weeks, so you know that there is some serious problems. We immediately took it to the dealer. Their verdict was “The engine needs to be replaced and the approximate cost is about $5K and it is not worth it. This is dangerous to drive”. So, we began the lookout for a new car.

Since we drive a lot, we always prefer a reliable new car and that has always meant a Toyota. Also, for convenience and because of the friendly folks at a local dealer in CT, we have always bought the cars from them. So, I went to them to buy a Toyota Camry Hybrid. They had only two, one of them white, which we didn’t want. I was offered the “best price” that they can give me with a ridiculously low trade in for the Prius (understandable given it is practically dead). Took the car for a short ride and loved it.

But, somehow the price this time around didn’t sound “best”. The folks I have dealt with in the past have either retired or moved on and I didn’t have the same level of comfort with the new folks. I was surprised to find a friend from CT have a Toyota with “Bernardi Toyota, Framingham” inscribed around his plate. I told him our condo in Framingham is just a block from there and asked him why did he go all the way there. He said he went through one of the internet service and he got the best price from them and he loved their price, honesty and service.

So, Saturday morning at 7 AM I write an email to Bernardi Toyota in Framingham. I get an answer at 7:40 AM with complete information including a price! And it was shockingly lower than the other one. It never happens like this. They always want you to call and never name the price or send you links to available cars. Good sign. So, I called the gentleman (note, he didn’t call me!!!) and spoke to him and it all sounded genuine. I asked if the price was real and the gentleman said yes.

So, I said, I am going to take a chance and drive the Prius to Framingham to trade in and buy the new Camry! One of my sons was giving me a ride to the dealership. He asked me “Dad, this price differential is inexplicable, are you sure that the two cars are comparable?” Good question, so I called the gentleman at Bernardi and told him, “Listen, I have to drive 2 hours and I am not looking for any hidden charges”. He assured me nope, that is not how they do business.

My son, still not convinced asked “Dad, are you sure that it is a hybrid?” I looked at the email and of course, it was not a hybrid! That explains it all. So, I call the gentleman again “Sorry, I need a Hybrid”. He says “Ha! I have just one Camry Hybrid – Predawn Gray Mica”. So far, so good. I ask him “What is the price”. He tells it to me. It is still a full $2,500 less than the quote from my local dealer. I ask him a couple of times is this a hybrid and then I ask “What is the MSRP” and what he told me was EXACTLY the same as the other one. Great, I asked him to email it to me.

To be fair, I went to the local dealer to ask if they will match. They were shocked but honest that they cannot. Short conversation.

First mistake – Choosing to drive the Prius to Framingham. The car started fine and had the tire pressure light, but the tire pressure was OK, so ignored. The moment I hit the highway, Coolant light comes on and a few minutes later the Check Engine. Car is running fine, so I move to the right lane and keep driving. When I reach Exit 66 on Route I84, I hear some funny, struggling sounds, so I get out of cruise control and slow down while going up. So far so good.

Second Mistake – It was 2:30 and I was very hungry. So, I take an Exit in Sturbridge to grab some food. I was wondering whether I should keep the car running or stop. I decided to give it a break. When I got back on, the sequence of lights were a bit wacky, and as soon as I got on to Main Street, “Check Hybrid System” flashed and the car slowed down. Panicking, I pulled into what turns out to be a one way street!

It is like the sequence in which organs fail when someone dies. May be the coolant light was like the kidney failure, the engine light was indicating the heart failing and the “hybrid system” failure is the brain failing, with a whole lot of interrelated systems dying in between…

Couple of nice cops came and point out that I was parked in the wrong direction of a one way street. I explained the panic attack. They summoned a tow truck attending to an accident nearby because AAA will take 1 1/2 hours. However, this towing company did honor AAA. Awesome. A very nice tow truck driver… Tells me that he can get another tow truck guy to take this car to Framingham, but it will be an hour and a half.

I send a text to one of my sons to prepare to come and get me. No answer, because he was in a movie! I desperately text a colleague. Woohoo, she answered!!! But, she is in the woods and it will be a couple of hours before she can help. Now, I am panicking again. Then the tow truck driver tells me “Try Uber!”. Now, why didn’t I think of it??? On the other hand, I say to myself “What is the real chance that I will get Uber here?”.

I try to get an Uber, but I had a new phone (another story and next blog post), where Uber wasn’t set up and after install my password wasn’t working. So, I reset my password and request a drive. It found one, but continued to fail. It is because I was not paying attention to the error message. Oh yeah, it was a new phone, and I had not set up Android pay. OK, set that up and ready to go!

12 minutes, really, in the middle of nowhere between Sturbridge and Southbridge, someone willing to give me a ride to Framingham for $46. All I can say is, how far we have come! Uber FTW!

I reached the dealer in time to look at the car, drive it around and finish almost all of the paperwork. On Monday morning, I brought the title over to the Towing company and asked them to junk the Prius and came to the dealer to finish the remaining paperwork. The car will be ready for pickup in CT on Friday.

With all the corporate turmoil in Uber, as a concept, it is brilliant. I was talking to the driver, who lives in Brookfield in Mass and does this full time and is making a decent living. Imagine the money I would have spent otherwise or the inconvenience I would have caused to others otherwise!

1 Comment on My Car Story (It’s a bit long, Sorry!)

1. Anupam
    October 24, 2017 at 5:22 pm (7 years ago)

Ravi, I suggest that you ditch the Prius and the new cars, and just stick with Uber all the time!! Yes, we have come a long way. Gone are the days of the smelly filthy yellow cabs with their rude drivers.

Reply