Alum Profile: Amber Cabrera ’10

Amber is a former Japanese major and current J.D. candidate at the University of Kansas School of Law

unnamedI am currently in my last year as a law student at the University of Kansas School of Law and graduated from Wellesley in 2010. I was a Japanese major at Wellesley because I was committed to learning the language as best as I could. Fortunately for me, the Japanese department and courses were a wonderful place for me to grow during my time at Wellesley. Adjusting to college was difficult and the Japanese department was always kind and the courses were fun and a place where I could relax, learn and enjoy myself. I don’t remember ever looking forward to going to class (even though it was at 8am) except for my Japanese courses. The professors continually supported me and encouraged me to spend a year abroad, and I would never have had that great opportunity without their support. I recommend everyone take a Japanese course or commit to the major. I don’t believe many students know what they want to do after they graduate, so I would say do yourself a favor and challenge yourself in doing something unique, unexpected and memorable that will follow you for the rest of your life.

I live in Kansas and the opportunities to use the language are pretty nonexistent. My career path after Wellesley hasn’t focused on Japanese studies or East Asian Studies but having that experience on my resume has always surprised potential employers, and my time in Japan is an experience not many individuals have in the midwest. At this point in my life I still don’t know what I will be doing or where I will end up, but I know that having lived in Japan and having such a unique educational experience with the Japanese department at Wellesley will only open doors for me in the future and continue to motivate me to challenge myself.

Amber can be contacted at ambcab@gmail.com

This entry was posted in Alum Profiles and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.