Journal Entry #4 The Local and Climate Change

My local communities are mainly made up of humans and pigeons, and some seagulls and dogs. What it’s also made up of is many tourists, and that means hundreds of thousands of flights that they took to get here. Last year I’ve only been on a flight once, but this year I’ve taken 4 flights already and it’s only March. The carbon footprint calculator tells me my flights have caused about 1.4 metric tons of CO2 emissions. I feel guilty about how we pollute the environment at the blink of an eye. What I learned recently from my college’s green club is that while Paris spends effort telling people to sort their garbage, most of the things that end up in the plastic recycle bins get burned anyways and are not really reused, even the ones that will be reused will need to be burned as well, causing inevitable carbon emissions. Because I’ve been traveling around Europe with friends, I’m thinking of coming up with a guide to budget-friendly and green traveling. During our travel, my friend and I consistently used public transport and ate at local restaurants, but I know that there are more things we could have done to made our trip more green. I’m hoping to reach to the Green club again about their ideas on making a green traveling guide. That’s so much for this week. See you next time!

Here are some photos I’ve taken while walking around Athens and taking the waterbus at Venice. We walked a lot during our trip — 0 carbon emissions 🙂