week 5 – urban green space

Row of Pruned TreesSomething I have been thinking about recently is the amount of green space in Copenhagen. As the days get longer and people start spending more time outdoors, my attention is drawn to the spaces where people gather in nature. Living in the city since January, my observations have been that there is a surprising lack of green space. I grew up in Los Angeles, and have become familiar with Boston during my time at Wellesley. Those two major cities have informed my assumptions of urban green space and are what I use in comparison to Copenhagen. I also spoke to other students from the US who perhaps have a different frame of reference than I do, and found that they agree; there seems to be less green here. King's Garden I did some research and here is what I found: Los Angeles has 143 square feet of green space per resident, Boston has 168 square feet per resident, and Copenhagen has 104 square feet per resident. Admittedly, these cities vary in population and geographical size, and environmental injustice often leads to the uneven distribution of green space in the United States. All the same, I found these statistics interesting. There is a gap, but it is not as large as I would have guessed. I started wondering, then, why I felt like there was such a disparity. It was then that I realized that while there were similar amounts of green space, how the space is used is where the differences occur. Most of the parks in Copenhagen are very manicured; trees cut into squares, gravel paths, and meticulously pruned shrubs. I think what I was missing was “wilderness” or some element of “untamed” nature. Of course, green space in any urban landscape can only be so natural, but nonetheless, I wish there was more of it in Copenhagen. Here’s to hoping that as Spring slowly makes its way to Scandinavia, the new growth will bring with it that something “wild.”

One thought on “week 5 – urban green space

1. That’s an interesting observation!
    I learned a bit of this over the summer while I was doing DEI work with my conservation program. When settlers first came to North America, the “untouched wilderness” was the backbone of colonization and the spread of settlers through America. They saw the land stewarded by the indigenous populations as a gift from God and used that ideology to move west through North America (Manifest Destiny) Especially in California, with all the old-growth and fire-cultivated land, “divine wilderness” has been an idea for hundreds of years! It’s cool to see this from a different lens.