Post 5-Environmental Justice in Bilbao

Egunon once again from rainy Bilbao! Today I am once again required to sit by the windows in the university because it is once again wet and musty in my sit spot. However, I take this opportunity to think about how Bilbao looked before its transformation. Like I have alluded to in previous posts, Bilbao is a city that has undergone a remarkable transformation over the past few decades. Once known for its industrial and economic decline, Bilbao has emerged as a vibrant and sustainable city that has embraced green spaces and just practices.  These reemergence from the city is credited to the construction of the Guggenheim Museum which shifter the economic mindset of the city from an industrial prioritization to a more services-oriented one.

We were shown this picture in one of our classes and you can clearly see the beautification of the city following the construction of the museum (the weird metal building)

However, before I get ahead of myself, we must look into the industrial effect of the many mines in the Basque country. Like many industrial cities, Bilbao experienced a significant impact on the environment and human health due to industrialization. Bilbao was once one of the largest steel-producing cities in Europe, which led to pollution and environmental degradation. As discussed in my water post, a lot of waste was thrown into the water ways and the city is recalled by locals as being “grey and dirty.” That is so far from how I see it nowadays. Bilbao has undergone a radical transformation that has prioritized sustainability and environmental protection. The city has focused on redeveloping its riverfront and increasing green spaces, which has improved the quality of life for its residents and visitors. During the two months that I have been here, I have seen the construction from the ground up of two different green parks for citizens to walk around and the shift of many different roads from vehicle traffic to pedestrian-only traffic.

Bilbao has also taken steps to enact just and sustainable practices in other areas, such as transportation and food. The city has implemented a bike-sharing program and improved public transportation options, which has reduced the number of cars on the road and improved air quality. (I was able to get an 8euro yearlong subscription to the bike sharing option and use the metro from my suburban town almost on the daily—and let me tell you, it is ALWAYS busy) Bilbao has also prioritized sustainable and locally sourced food, with a focus on reducing waste and supporting local farmers.  Bilbao’s efforts to enact just and sustainable practices are closely tied to other social justice issues in the region. While we all known that Spain was never colonized, but rather a major colonizer in the era of “the discovery of America” this haven’t been its only political conflicts. Spain has a complex political history, with a diverse array of cultures and identities that are reflected in its regions. The Basque Country, where Bilbao is located, has a unique culture and history that has contributed to its distinctive identity giving them a reputation of revolutionaries. The Basque Country has a strong sense of regional autonomy and has advocated for greater political autonomy within Spain, this is a feeling that permeates almost every aspect of everyday life, even including the environmental justice movement. Bilbao’s sustainability initiatives are part of a larger effort to build a more equitable and sustainable future for the region by the governing Basque Nationalist Party (PNV), while also addressing the historical and ongoing social justice issues.

Picture from the mountains in the bordering towns with Bilbao!

Putting things into perspective, it is crazy to think how much a city has changed in what has been my lifetime. Especially when I compare it to my birth city of Caracas, where after around the same time of conflict, things appear to remain essentially just the same. I hope this is persuading you to come here because it is truly an inspiring city, but until that happens, hurrengorarte! (until next time in Basque)