2: Frog and Toad Go to Oxford

When walking around the Worcester campus at night, I’ve learned to watch my step. Especially after it rains, the paths are scattered with tiny toads hopping from one hedge to the other. I haven’t seen any at my sit spot during the daytime, and I don’t hear many frogs calling in the evenings either, but on rainy nights campus is full of little amphibians on their own secret missions. 

A cartoon drawing of two toads in formal dress.
Why did the toad cross the road? To get to the college formal on the other side!

These little guys are most likely common toads (Bufo bufo), which are found throughout England and are common in Europe, northwest Asia, and some parts of North Africa. Common toads hatch as tadpoles in the spring and live for several years, so the button-sized toads I’ve been spotting must be babies that have just finished their summer metamorphosis. Soon, these little toadlets will be burrowing into the ground to hibernate through the winter, and I’ll miss seeing them hopping around on my evening strolls.

A close-up of a common toad.
This toad was very patient and let me take a close-up shot. What pretty eyes!

Although it makes for a lot of gloomy days, I love how Oxford’s rainy weather creates a lush, green ecosystem where little amphibians can thrive. I’m especially lucky to be on a campus with so much nature, and with excellent gardeners who take time to save newts and toads trapped in window wells: 

A college gardener holding a rescued common toad.
I got these photos from our college gardener’s Instagram.
A gardener holding a rescued toad.
Everyone should go follow @worcestercollegegardener!

The toads may be heading to sleep as the weather gets colder, but the students are back and the campus is coming alive. As Oxford changes with the seasons, I’m excited to see what else I’ll discover!

A large toad crawling over a flagstone.
This toad was very large and very determined to catch a lot of slugs.

One thought on “2: Frog and Toad Go to Oxford