3: Roots and Energy!

It was very rainy and very chilly. However, being able to stand and hear the rain was a really lovely experience. My roots encounter: cold ground on a physical level, a bit wet, the chill leaking through my soles.

I am wondering what the plants and trees are doing, rooted into the cold ground. Are they going into hibernation? Are there still worms and insects digging into the ground? Are the water plants hiding hibernating frogs and fish? These roots shape the spot because they add life even though things seem dead in the rain and cold on the surface – the only living thing I saw was a swan waddle off into the opposite canal.

In regards to water and energy in the UK, it was really interesting seeing how energy in the UK is powered! I couldn’t find info specifically on my accommodation, but in the UK In 2022, renewables contributed to about 30 – 40% of energy generation – a bit lower than I had expected (I had expected about 50%). Wind power contributed 26.8% , Biomass energy 5.2%, Solar power 4.4%, Hydropower 1.8%.

In terms of the water, it seems like in Oxford water is supplied by the pumping stations at Farmoor Reservoir and Brasenose Reservoir. They’re really beautiful, wide round reservoirs. I didn’t even know there were such large bodies of water so close by, and I definitely want to visit.