O{w}ed To A Tree

In childhood, I was taught that the world’s creation came about in a series of separation- the establishment of expanses, a creation of order. Human beings- the finest, and final, of the divine’s creations- were also deemed the most separate and distinct from nature’s dis-order. This overly simplistic approach has long led me towards an even more simplistic belief, that is: it is the prerogative of human beings to assert order onto the natural world. In my courtyard, there is a tree whose rambling roots and visible rings make clear that it has been a longtime resident of its spot amongst the weeds and once-vivid pastel bird feeders. Despite its bare branches, the tree canopies much of the area around it, offers refuge to ladybugs, squirrels, and the occasional stray cat. It is as much a fixture of my life’s infrastructure as any support beams in my building, as substantial to the landscape of my world as any man-made structure. My street, Donaustrasse, is under construction currently. with more demand for luxury housing in rapidly-gentrifying Neukolln, developers have already begun efforts to make my building more appealing to residents willing to pay several thousand euros for an apartment with a view. Said view, however, doesn’t come naturally; I’ve heard from neighbors of plans to cut down “obstructive” trees in the courtyard, to make for a more ‘cohesive’ view, and justify higher rent prices. Sitting here, I wonder if this tree will still be here when I sit down to write my final journal entry, or if it will become another victim to human beings’ assertion of dominance over the natural world.

One thought on “O{w}ed To A Tree

1. thank you for telling your story about this tree ayelet!! i look forward to reading more of your experiences in berlin and hope you’re enjoying your time abroad 🙂