Blog #2 The Mimosa tree

I returned to my sit spot after a long day of studying and walking in center Aix. The tranquil atmosphere and the smell of a mixture of plants are relieving for me because central Aix is not particularly green, and It’s nice to feel reconnected to nature.

Now, I’m observing the Mimosa tree that I mentioned in my last blog post. It’s a tree that about 3 meters tall, it blossoms around February and March for a very short period of time. The flowers are very very small, orange and are in clusters. It gives off a strong aroma that’s different from most flowers. The tree is also unlike most trees–it doesn’t have a prominent trunk and crown; instead, it’s more like a cypress, very tall and lean. There are a few things that I wonder about the mimosa tree: how much water does it need on a weekly basis? What’s its lifespan, and how long does it take to grow into its full size? Does it have fruits? This tree reminds me of the smell of Jasmin that’s commonly seen in China, my home country.

I know that Aix and the south of France, in general, don’t get a lot of precipitation and are considered very dry in fact, especially during the summer, so I would think that most plants here like dryness, but I did notice that many plants that my host parents plant in the garden aren’t local and require a lot of watering.