Blog #7

South Africa is continuously discussing climate change, and many laws and legislation have been made. The issue with climate change here isn’t that no one believes it or is simply not worried; the issue is implementation. In my classes this semester, we talk about the government often, and one conclusion my classes have come to is that the government makes laws and legislation but lacks implementation and accountability. Many factors implicate why this is happening, and it starts from the top of the government to small sectors. I suppose if I had to decide, I would create a group for oversight and make sure that laws and legislation were being properly followed. When a law is signed, it does not mean everything is going to change overnight; it is not possible, especially those related to climate change. There’s the thought of who this affects, whether jobs are going to be affected, how much this will cost, etc. I think with implementation, there needs to be a guide for realistic first steps and a proper timeline for what’s going to happen step by step. I also think there needs to be clear language so that everyone can understand what the law means and how it will affect them. Overall, simply creating a law is not enough; someone needs to make sure that it is being implemented or enforced in an area. Keeping the public engaged in climate change is crucial, and they need to be involved in every step because laws and legislation impact citizens, and their voices matter.