WEEK 2: Stool for Cubbies

WEEK 2:
4/14.18.21/2017

Last week, after brainstorming and researching past precedents and prototyping with foam-core, I decided to go with the sketch below.

TAKING THE CUBBY APART.
After deciding to make a stool that would be installed in each cubbies, I started measuring the dimensions and thinking about how the stool could be possibly built as I took the cubby apart that was build by the past stool project members.

This was when I first learned how to use the drill and drill-bits. Although, the first few unscrewing experiences were not exactly positive and required a lot of time, I overall really enjoyed working with my hands.

WOOD WORK + DRILLING.
I used the wood that I took apart and cut out some part so I could adjust it to my idea. This was the very beginning of my long long journey to make something out of wood. To make my first prototype, it took more time then I thought, especially with the screwing/unscrewing and hinges.

FIRST IDEA DRAWN OUT.
Unfortunately, I don’t have photos of it, but I sketched what it would look like so that I had a clear idea of what to make before actually starting.

HINGES.

The hinges from Home Depot was a bit of a mistake since I didn’t really know what I was making when I ordered it.
What I needed was a 0 to 90 degrees hinge but instead I had bought a 90 to 180 degrees hinge. Also because the hinges were door hinges, it was very bulky and bigger than I imagined. However, I managed to use it (thanks to Hanna) by putting a piece of block to the side.

WOODEN PROTOTYPE.
This was when I finished making the wooden structures of my first wooden prototype. It had the base square wood part and two legs and the hinges attached to it. I imagined how it would work with photocells and the LED taped.

The reason why I had the photocell underneath the legs was probably because I wasn’t thinking that I could drill a hole to the square part of the leg and have the photocell there like the improvement I made lastly. Also I do regret focusing too much on the wood work during this week and not much on the feedback/control aspect.

UPDATES ON THE DESIGN.
At this point, I showed my prototype to Amy and she gave me a few ideas for improvement.
1.Instead of having two separate legs, how about connecting them?
2.Make space for the batteries! (I didn’t have this in mind…)

After week 2, I had my FIRST WOODEN PROTOTYPE MADE!! (Next to feedback from Tracy!)