Feedback & Control

1. Doors: often super markets have doors which automatically open so that people can easily exit while pushing a full grocery cart. The doors sense whether or not there is motion and if there is then the door opens for a specific amount of time.
  2. Machine Cooling systems: A variety of machines need the capability to cool down, as extended use can cause enough heat to damage either the user or the equipment. They are able to gauge temperature and when they are above a specified amount a fan will turn on, once the temperature returns below the specified value the fan turns off.
  3. Wellesley’s Hand Dryers and sinks: The environmental hand dryers located in many of the bathrooms on campus are able to sense when hands are put in, triggering the high speed fans. The dryers are also able to sense when hands are removed, they shut off based on the absence of hands rather than after a certain amount of time. This is a more sophisticated sensor/system than, for example, the automatic sinks in some bathrooms. The sinks in Alumni hall always stall every 10 seconds which is very annoying as I am usually trying to wash off paint or glue. It would be much more convenient if the sinks would stay on until I remove my hands instead of automatically turning off every 10 seconds, taking a moment to re-sense my hands, and then turning back on (over and over again).
  4. iPhone Brightness: I really appreciate my iPhone’s ability to tell the brightness of the environment when I am using it. It adjusts the brightness of the screen in response which helps my ability to see the screen and also makes it so my eyes do not hurt. When I am outside and it is sunny, my brightness goes all the way up. When I am outside at night and it is dark, it dims the screen. Not only does it respond to these two extremes, but rather fluctuates throughout the day as I go into different spaces. This level of feedback is very sophisticated.
One Comment
  1. I like that you incorporated your personal experience with some of the feedback and control systems. I think I’ll be helpful to identify the feedback and control a little more clearly.