Seoul National University

I can’t believe it’s already been a month since the semester started! One of the most striking things about Seoul National University is… the campus is huge. It’s the biggest university campus in Korea, and is also built on a mountain, so the uphill climb seems to never end. Walking around Wellesley’s campus will seem easy after this semester! It is a pretty campus to walk around though, especially since it is surrounded by the mountain. The campus is a little bit far from some of the more fun parts of Seoul, but the public transportation is so good here that you can get to anywhere in the city easily.

The classes are definitely different than Wellesley’s because they are almost entirely lecture-style. There is also only one midterm and one final, without as much emphasis on homework. This means that studying for exams needs to be mostly self-directed though, so it will be interesting to see how midterms go. This semester I am taking Korean, Buddhist Philosophy, Astronomy, and Life in Contemporary Korea. I am also taking a supplementary Korean conversation class once a week.

I’m living in the dorms on campus in an apartment-style set-up. The apartment is made up of three doubles with a living room and bathroom, so it is a pretty nice space for a good price. I was a little nervous at first because I am the only foreigner of the six of us, but I have become fairly close with my roommate in my double and can also practice my Korean so I think it’s a good thing! My roommate is from Jeju Island and we are planning on going there together in May so I am definitely looking forward to that.

Overall I am enjoying the school and have met some great people here!