Week 1- Introducing the WashBoard

Visit to the Child Studies Center:

Overall, I enjoyed my visit to the child studies center. I was intrigued to learn about their teaching methods and beliefs. More importantly, I was interested in understanding the ways in which engineered devices could help solve some of the day-to-day challenges at the center.

Some of the problems mentioned were:

• The children not being able to reach the top shelf of their cubby
  • The children not washing their hands properly
  • Transitioning between play and work time
  • The loud flush noise

From all the problems mentioned above I found myself most drawn to the issue of children washing their hands. A simple habit such as washing one’s hands is important in being put into practice at a young age. Being able to wash one’s hands most efficiently (without using more water than necessary) not only helps encourage proper sanitation, but also water conservation— an aspect of this project I am deeply passionate about.

Brainstorming:

Upon finding interest in this issue, I began brainstorming devices that could provide children with an engaging step-by-step process to washing their hands. By putting myself in the child’s perspective, I determined the following aspects as being instrumental in the device’s construction:

• Engagement

Children do not have a long attention span; therefore, my device would have to occupy their attention over a given period of time.

The incorporation of LED lights and movement would be key in both maintaining their focus and clearly illustrating the step they should be on.

• Time

Children can get easily impatient and do not have an accurate sense of time. For example: telling a child to “Scrub their hands with soap for 10 seconds” is of no significance. As each step occurs over a given duration, the children should have some concept of time for each step.

• Reading

A large majority of the children at the CSC are unable to read. Therefore, when providing them with step-by-step instructions on how to wash their hand’s sentences can not be used, instead, some visual depiction of the action must be provided.

Idea Pitch:

Having considered the above aspects I came up with the following design:

“The WashBoard”

– Device will be attached to the wall near each sink

– It will provide a visual guide to students as to how to wash their hands

– Each step will be written in English (simplistic; encouraging reading)

– An associated photo to each instruction will be on the side

– The LED will light up to indicate which action the student should carry out

– Linkages will lift the board with the respective instruction to make each action more obvious

– Will work alongside LED lights to indicate duration of step

– LEDs green light= doing, yellow= almost done, red= not doing, no light= not operational

– Makes use of the “traffic light” concept- one easily understood by children

Reflection:

So far, I think the most challenging aspect of this project will be coding the required functions and choosing a sensible/appropriate feedback and control device.

One Comment