intro

My name is Calla Nelles-Sager and I’m and eighteen year old from Brooklyn, New York. I have many interests and am currently exploring computer science, chemistry and biology, philosophy, mathematics, theater, and many other disciplines. I found this class among the list of courses and thought it sounded interesting. I enjoy building things and, although I don’t consider myself an artist, designing things. Throughout the course of my schooling I have always been challenged to think creatively and this class seemed to fit right in with the way I like to learn.

The product I have decided to focus on is a water bottle. As an athlete, an avid hiker, and someone who is environmentally conscious, I own many water bottles and each one has its flaws and its advantages. When you’re hiking or in the outdoors you want a water bottle that won’t break. Nalgene’s almost never break but I know very few people who are capable of drinking from one without spilling on themselves. Something like a camelback is very easy to drink from but has lots of parts and is hard to clean and easy to break. Reusable cups with lids and straws are also convenient to drink out of but are prone to spilling. Insulated water bottles are nice because can hold either hot or cold beverages, but they are often smaller and have openings that make them difficult to use. And, as with any product that is constantly viewed, there are the aesthetics. Sometimes you just want your water bottle to look really nice.

It is always true that personal preferences differ. Different people will prioritize different aspects of their water bottle. But, for me, I know that when I find a water bottle that I like I never want it to break (or, more likely, get lost). That’s why this product speaks to me. It’s amazing that something so simple can have so much personality.